Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Terrain: Khador Burnt-out Building

 I get inspired quite often by thing I see online. More than once, I've imitated scenery that other folks have put together. Probably my favorite is this burnt-out Khador building. I saw photos of what the original creator called Khadoran Trenchworks at plarzoid.com, and I loved it. So I decided to create my own.


 
I started by cutting strips of wood, and breaking each in half at irregular intervals to get that splintered look at the top. These were secured at the bottom by laying a small second layer of wood on the outside, to which the vertical strips were super-glued, and some clay on the inside, which held the vertical strips in place while the glue dried, and then solidified for extra stability.

To match the one I'd seen, I put in two layers of vertical wood strips, gluing them to each other. This gave the whole structure extra strength.


 
After it was mostly assembled, I painted the base brown, the wood red on the outside and brown on the inside, and the clay on the inside had rubble pieces such as wood planks and small rocks pressed into the clay and eventually glued in place. I made sure that wherever there were gaps in the wood, I painted the brown between the boards.
 
 I printed a big Khador logo, cut it out, and then taped it in place and painted over it to get the Khador logo on the side, which turned out very nicely. 

Lastly, imitating the initial version at Plarzoid, I downloaded Khador propaganda posters from the internet and printed them out tiny, then glued them in place. They look great.

I'll continue looking for good terrain ideas online and imitating them where I can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment