Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Custom Steamroller 2021 Objectives


 

I recently decided it would be nice to have a custom set of Warmachine objectives to match up with the list of objectives in Steamroller 2021: armory, observatory, cargo net, fuel cache, wreckage, and dugout.

The first objective, the armory, was made with balsa on top of the lid from a cold brew coffee container. The coffee lid's base happens to be exactly 50 millimeters: perfect. One side has warjack weapons, the other has a sword knight's shield and a spare sword, and another side has a stormblade infantryman's voltaic sword. Simple, but it works.

 
The second objective was one of my first ideas, and is perhaps my least favorite of the batch. The observatory is made from a painted plastic Easter egg. The telescope is a painted drinking straw. I cut it into segments and clipped it, incrementally curling each piece tighter and tucking it into the previous slightly larger piece. On the suggestion of a friend, I glued a tiny piece of plastic on the end as a lens. It doesn't look great.
 
Next, the cargo net. With painted clay to hold the four corner posts in place, I put some terrain crates in the center and tied together a makeshift net from twine, super gluing the twine to the posts.

The wreckage terrain piece was the simplest to conceptualize, but painting it took some time. I was pretty happy with how the Cryx wreck marker came out.

The fuel cache was another easy one. After I'd painted the barrels, putting down some clay onto a large base and painting it was nothing.

Lastly, my personal favorite, the dugout. I spent a long time asking myself what a dugout even is. All the image searches I tried returned baseball results, which wasn't very helpful. Eventually, I found images of a dugout shelter or cellar, like a root cellar. That works. The tricky part was making a hole in the ground as a terrain piece. 

I cut a hole in the top of the coffee lid, and built actual steps from balsa wood, going down from the surface at the top of the lid to the surface of the table. Then I built a shelter at the top from the same balsa. Paint, clay, and sand made up the rest. 



So how do you like my Steamroller 2021 custom objectives? The main thing I need to do now is design a case for them to transport them without ruining them.

No comments:

Post a Comment