Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Terrain: Sludgehouse

This was one of my first terrain projects, earlier this year. I'd created custom terrain before, back in 2017, but this was my first in a while, and I hadn't previously used clay, acrylic, gesso, or a few other things I'm now using.

We had no acid bath terrain pieces; nothing with continual corrosion. I thought up a pumphouse type of building which was spewing out toxic waste, and this was the final result.


 
The building is simply four pieces of craft plywood, attached with tape on the interior. I then spread a thin layer of modeling clay over that, and cut a small rectangle out of the clay on the front for a door. I cut a small piece of balsa wood, painted that, and we had a door. 
 
The roof was a bit of a pain. After cutting out two roof pieces and the two triangles for the sides, I did my best to assemble them, which was a pain. Then clay went over that as well, and I used a toothpick to carve tile shapes, which worked... kind of.

The sludge was a separate piece. Three thin levels in all, with clay forming a tiny hill. I let green paint collect in the center, and glazed it to give it that shiny caustic look. The outside got painted brown, and then I put down white glue to stick down the craft sand.

I painted a section of bendy straw black, shoved it into the clay at the back of the house, and got a bit of the green sludge into the pipe, dripping out its bottom.

All in all, it's not my favorite terrain piece, but it was one of my first since back in 2017. Stay tuned - the projects get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment