Friday, August 12, 2022

Battle Report: Skorne (Morghoul) vs Trollbloods (Ragnor)

 This was a game a friend and I played at the local game store. I haven't had my ass kicked so badly in Warmachine in some time. Please, pull up a seat and some popcorn and enjoy the sad tale.


Skorne deployment

Skorne (The Exalted)

  • Master Tormentor Morghoul
  • Aptimus Marketh
  • Agonizer
  • Baslisk Krea
  • Aradus Soldier
  • Titan Gladiator
  • Extoller Soulward
  • Extoller Soulward
  • Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)
  • Paingiver Beast Handlers (min)
  • Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew



Troll deployment

Trollbloods (Storm of the North)

  • Ragnor Skysplitter, the Runemaster
  • Trollkin Runebearer
  • Dire Troll Mauler
  • Troll Impaler
  • Troll Impaler
  • Troll Impaler
  • Troll Basher
  • Troll Whelps
  • Troll Whelps
  • Troll Whelps
  • J.A.I.M.s



Deployment 

Deployment

Our scenario tonight was bunkers. We also rolled a terrain placement method which was promptly ignored in favor of wild randomness.

The terrain had a very tall cloud in the center of the board, and a lake on one side. The other terrain was noncentral and didn't play much of a part.

My opponent won the roll and chose to go first, and I chose the side with a wall and some fuel tanks to hide behind.


Trollblood Turn 1  

End Trollblood Turn 1

A troll gets pulverize and the army runs.



Skorne Turn 1  

End Skorne Turn 1

A soulward runs behind the flanking forest. Gobbers run up and blow a smoke cloud, and Morghoul hides in it. The aradus soldier gets rush and abuse and runs forward behind the terrain cloud. The krea puts up a force aura.



Trollblood Turn 2 

End Trollblood Turn 2

An impaler crit slams the aradus soldier back through the bellows crew, killing them. The rest of the trolls edge forward, and the J.A.I.M. moves up towards the flag.



Skorne Turn 2  

End Skorne Turn 2

A beast handler runs up around the corner of the administrative building, just barely within four inches of the flag.

An extoller soulward takes the flag, and the aradus soldier runs up to hide him. The krea hides behind the wall, and force auras to protect the other soulward and the agonizer.

(Skorne 2, Trollblood 1)



Trollblood Turn 3  

End Trollblood Turn 3

An impaler rolls 1-1-3 and crit slams the aradus sentinel through the extoller soulward on the flag, killing it and putting ten damage on the ARM 23 soldier with a single shot.

A second impaler crit slams the titan gladiator back through two beast handlers and into the objective, killing the beast handlers. The slammed beast misses Morghoul by a hair's width.

The J.A.I.M. charges and kills the beast handler contesting the flag and sidesteps back onto the flag.

(Skorne 3, Trollblood 3)



Skorne Turn 3 

End Skorne Turn 2

I've left one too many fury on my beasts, so I roll to check frenzy, needing to roll an 8 or less, and I miss. The gladiator frenzies and hits my caster for eight damage. I transfer the damage to the agonizer.

Aptimus Marketh aims and boosts, killing the J.A.I.M. with a spirit eye shot.

Things are looking desperate. If I sit back, my entire army will be gone in two turns. So my army bricks up to protect the caster and runs forward. Morghoul feats.

(Skorne 4, Trollblood 4)



Trollblood Turn 4  

End Trollblood Turn 3

Shockwave knocks down most of my army, and an impaler crit slams Morghoul, killing him.

(Trollblood Victory!)



End game

Final Thoughts

  • I guess this is why certain terrain placement methods require a LOS-blocking piece of terrain near the center of the table. In this case, our LOS-blocking terrain was small, round, and trolls had the true sight objective. This meant that it prevented my titan gladiator from charging the impaler, but one impaler each turn could draw line of sight right through it.
  • Impalers got at least one crit slam every single turn after turn one. The first slam killed the bellows crew, the second a solo who'd been scoring a flag, the third killed two beast handlers, and the fourth killed my caster.

No comments:

Post a Comment