Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Terrain: The Rhulic Bunker

 
The terrain piece which eventually came to be the Rhulic bunker was initially inspired by a different terrain piece I'd seen while scouring Google images of fantasy wargaming terrain. I liked the largish section of porch that models could stand on, the small corner on that porch which offered a limited amount of cover, and the fact that the building was asymmetrical. The plan was that the roof would be restricted terrain, whereas the porch would be walkable, and models could enter that terrain from any angle, not needing to use the stairs. Trying to keep it simple.

  
 
I used plywood rather than balsa for this project. It's far more difficult to cut, but ends up creating a far sturdier product. The six sections that made the main body of the building were measured and cut, and held in place temporarily by white masking tape while the superglue dried. You can see a small bit of green stuff securing the small portion of the roof in place in this photo, and more green stuff at the edge of the stairs.
 
The porch is held up by three small sections of a square wooden dowel, cut to rough the size of a die. The stairs are made from pieces of a smaller wooden dowel.
 
I added the roof and painted it brown, then applied a thin layer of clay to the top of the porch. I used a roller to add a cobblestone pattern to the porch, and after it had dried, I gave it a dark wash to make the cobble pop.

I also added two painted pieces of scatter terrain: barrels at the bottom, and crates on top of the porch. I also added a dowel to the roof to act as a chimney. You can see Ossrum standing atop the roof, inspecting my work.
 
I painted the chimney red, added grey mortar lines, and painted a black square on top rather than hollowing it out. I also added a door to the back and some windows.
 
 
The windows are made from painted strips of wood, and are really just the frame, with the wall painted black inside. The door has support beams made from that same wood, and a frame made from the same dowel as the stairs.

I used the dowel to add a fortifying wall to the roof, and placed a cannon up top for Ossrum. It's the same cannon I once placed atop my Khador Bunker back in 2018, but since hills have been retired, so has that bunker. Hence, I painted the cannon the same mustard color as Ossrum and mounted it here.
 
 
After viewing photos, my friends ended up deciding that the Rhuls would be holding raves inside this place, so I named it the Dijon Rave House, owing to the mustard-colored features. I made a wooden sign and painted "DRH" on it, then used a jewelry chain to hang it.


The finished piece had a front door, ladder, and anvil sign added. I'm pretty happy with that anvil sign. I found a nickel-sized metal disc lying around after recent construction on my house, and used it for this sign, free-painting the anvil, but leaving a small strip of unpainted metal around the outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment