Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Building a Cygnar Colossal, Part The Fourth

It's been a long time. Way back in March 2018, I started this article. Here's part 1, part 2, and part 3. The last time I remember this much time between a part 3 and a part 4 of something, it was Star Wars.

So I got started painting this thing. Boy, there's a lot more to paint on something like a colossal than there is on any other model. Boy, this takes a while.


I went out and bought some small screws, and used them to very firmly attach the model to its huge base. Those reinforced circles help to ensure that the plastic of the base won't crack. I had to sand down the top so that the head of the screw wouldn't protrude below the model's base and cause it to sit unevenly. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the model's foot, and the screw went in pretty easily.


I'd soon painted the bulk of the model above the waist, along with all the bits and bobs: The arms, magnetized weapons, wrist-covers, the arcnode and stormhat. I was bringing it to this game, so I sprayed a bit of this new laquer I just got to seal it. Whoops. Turns out this stuff I got from Home Depot isn't nearly as good as the Testor's Dullcote I normally use - it left a dull chalky sheen, and I had to touch up the paint in a number of places. I soon bought a new bottle of Testor's Dullcote and re-sealed it.

After bringing the hurricane to an actual game, I also realized how badly the magnetization on the arms and wrist covers sucks. The pieces were constantly falling off, and would need to be fixed. This is the job I dreaded enough to set the colossal aside for more than nine months.

I swear I'll get back to it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment