Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Magnetizing a Stormwall / Hurricane, Part Three

The long and drawn out process continues. I still have very little time, but I was able to carve out an hour or so over the weekend and get some more done while watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on Netflix for what must be the fourth time.

After spending a while staring at the waist connection, I decided not to magnetize it. I'd have to chop off the large plastic nub which connects the colossal's top half to its bottom by slotting neatly into the crotchpiece. In the end, I just glued the damn thing. I think that's going to work just fine.



I'd had a lot of concerns about putting green stuff into the large holes where the smaller weapons fit. There's a big cavity back there, and without a way to come at it from behind/inside that cavity, I was worried that any green stuff would simply fall in. In the end, I was able to get it in place in such a way that it stayed, and I was able to push the magnet into the green stuff and leave it until it cured.

It was at this point that I spray-primed the model.

At least partially because I'd had to double up on magnets in so many places, I ran out before magnetizing the four small weapons and the arms. I bought a variety pack from a FLGS, which worked out great.

I did lose one magnet when putting the magnets in the body side of the arm connection - it fell inside, and I found myself unable to shake it out. I soon realized that it was inside the small cavity behind the area where I'd added green stuff and a magnet, sticking to the inside of that front weapon magnet. Whoops!

With the small weapons and arms now successfully magnetized, the magnetization of my colossal was complete! I'm still wondering if I added too much green stuff covering the arm magnets. I may need to sand that down a bit, as it was probably unnecessary. I'll also still need to add a small pin so that I can prevent the arms from rotating too much when they're attached.

I painted the blue and white portions first, knowing I'd need to go back and clean up a lot of the detail later. I do really like the slight black border I've left between the white and blue portions at the top of the model. Another important thing I'm doing here that I've never done before is mix the white paint with another color so that it's not pure bright white. I mixed with a tan color that I normally use for belts and leather straps.

I noticed that the primer on the legs has been wearing off since I've been handling the model so much while painting. I guess this is why people use painting handles. My plan is to finish up the top half of the model, then seal it with Testors dullcote. Then, I'll paint black over any leg portions that have worn off. After that, hopefully I can hold the sealed portion while I paint the legs and there'll be no further wear. Maybe I should just base the model before doing the legs so that I don't need to hold it anywhere painted at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment