Friday, May 5, 2017

I Wish They All Could Be Character Warjacks


It might not be immediately clear from the title here what I'm talking about. I mean, you could sing that to the Beach Boys tune, but that's not what I'm doing here. Let me let you in on a secret: I name my models. Bit by bit, I'm making each of my warjacks, and every member of each of my units into a character model. Of course, the rules on the model won't change, but it's a lot of fun.

It all started with Roger. Early on, back in the mk2 days, my gun mage captain adept never got any work done. He was usually the first guy to die, and that after having spent a couple rounds doing nothing. I started visualizing him as Marvin from the old Superfriends cartoon, and I named him Roger. I played lots of games with Roger, and Roger was always totally ineffective. But he was my first faux-character model.

Shortly after that, I read Into The Storm and decided to name my stormblade infantry unit after the characters in that book. Madigan's Malcontents. I liked it so much that I made up names for my gun mages.

In reading the fluff, I found that many of the warjacks were named. So why wouldn't I do the same? I named my minuteman "Fiver" since he jumps, and named my firefly "Joules". My ironclad is "Bully", and my chargers "Whistler" and "Lil Brudder".

When I do these, I paint the jack's name on the back of its base in Cygnaran runes, and then on the underside of the base in English to make it easier to remember.

What I'd really love to do at some point is get a used stormclad and customize the crap out of it to make it resemble Headhunter from "Into The Storm". I could paint the warjack incredibly rusty, and then buy 2 or 3 Protectorate warjack heads, glue them to a small necklace linked chain, and hang it over the stormclad. It would be a fun project.

No comments:

Post a Comment